Last night was the first Triduum Night that we had in CTK for this year. The theme for this year is "A community in Prayer."
Brother Mike was the 1st speaker, he's a teacher in SJI. I was quite surprised to see him. The last time we met him was for our MPC in Oct 2005 I think. As what I remembered him to be, he is sitll as jovial and still gives good sermons!
The gospel reading was on from John. Jesus went up the hill and with 5 loafs of bread and 2 fish, feed the whole community of more than 5000.
Brother Mike then broke the story into smaller, chewable bits for us. He told us, most of us would have had read or heard of this passage before, yet, what do we get from the passage? It's not so simple as just Jesus feeding the 5ooo people with the food, or the magnifestication. But beyond that, what do we see? What do we understand?
First, Bro Mike says, we must first understand that when Jesus went up the hill, it is symbolic. Symbolises that he is someone with authority and power. A teacher going up the hill to teach. To teach the community of people BEFORE the pass over meal.
He then went on with the word "community." What forms a commnity? Families. A family is the basis of any community. And often, family has it's fair share of pain. Imagine the pain of the caring for the sick and elderly alone, imagine the pain of children who disobeys, the pain of silbings arguements etc etc etc.
I was kind of expecting him to mention the arguments and disagreements between husbands and wives but strangly, he did not.
Bottom line for a family to stay and remain together is "Sacrifice." The members got to learn to sacrifice themselves for each other. Parents forgive their children time and again. Silbings got to learn to give way to each other to compromise to keep the peace and harmony going in the family.
But, Bro Mike got me thinking. Not so much as my own family but rather my re-ship wif my family in law. I have no problems with my PIL only with my BIL. I know as a catholic it's not right to hold a grudge against them. It's also not my position to judge them. Yes, they are insenstitive to us or rather more towards me, but when I complain and bitch about them. Am I giving glory to God? I don't think I am. In fact, I am being a disgrace to God.
Here I am, saying all sorts of teachings and verses and even dare to call myself a catholic and yet, when I got to deal with my BIL, I bitch non stop about him/them.
True, that most of the things is that they irriated me first. But does that give me the privillege to bitch about them? If I had chosen to let it pass over me, would I have been happier? Would hubby have been happier? I think so. I think we will all be happier. But if I allow this to happen once too often, then won't I be letting them climb over our heads?
I don't know. I'm not sure what is the balance here. I'm sure there is a balance somewhere. Just like a kid who does not want to go to school, as the parents, it is the parents' responsbility to teach the kid and even force him to go to school, isn't it?
Dear Lord, you know it's not easy to sacrifice oneself for another as it was not in our nature to do so. But yet, you willingly sacrifice your only son, Jesus for us. Please help me to remember this always especially when I have to deal with BILs. Teach me to be more Christ like. He did not die just for the just and rightous, Christ died for all. Help me then, Lord. Help me to remember this always and no matter what, help me to remember that Christ died for us all and help me to control my temper and tongue that I will not bring disgrace to you. Instead, let me and teach me to bring glory to you in my actions and speech.
Amen.
P.s Bro Mike's homily was quite long but I don't really feel it. Towards the end, there was a photo montash of some family photos of our parishoners. Din see ourselves in it. Maybe tonite or tomorrow night.
Thursday, November 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment